Labour aborted strike.
The organised labour has called off the nationwide strike scheduled for Tuesday following an agreement with the Federal government on a minimum wage for workers.
NLC president, Ayuba Wabba at the end of the resumed meeting of the tripartite committee set up by the federal government, told reporters that the decision to suspend the industrial action was taken after agreements were reached and documents signed.
Wabba said, “Having reached this position and agreements signed, the proposed strike action is hereby suspended.”
Earlier on Monday attempts to resolve the difference between government and labour initially ended in a deadlock with the chairman of the committee Ms. Amma Pepple stating that her committee will submit the two figures presented by both parties will be forwarded to the President for onward transmission to the national assembly.
But at the resumed meeting of the committee later on Monday evening both sides agreed on an amount.
NLC president, Ayuba Wabba while thanking all members of the tripartite committee for their contribution, said that the amount agreed on with government would be made public on Tuesday.
The chairman of the committee, Amma Pepple on her part expressed delight at the conclusion of the negotiation.
“I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15pm on Tuesday,” she said.
“We will reveal the figure at the presentation.”