Eight Ways Bola Tinubu Intervened In The Rivers State Political Crises
The presidential intervention in the Rivers State political crisis on Monday, December 18, looks like a good option of returning to the original status quo before the crisis started.
President Bola Tinubu met with both sides involved in the crisis and secured commitments from all sides to abide by a set of eight resolutions reached at the parley.
The resolution, signed by both Governor Siminalayi Fubara, his predecessor and minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, and spelt out steps expected by parties in the conflict to take.
Other signatories of the resolution are the National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu; Deputy Governor of Rivers State, Dr Ngozi Ordu; Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, a loyalist of the FCT minister, Hon Martin Amaewhule; acting chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state, Chukwuemeka Aaron; and the All Progressives Congress (APC) caretaker committee chairman, Chief Tony Okocha.
Also present at the meeting was former governor of the state, Dr Peter Odili.
1. The resolution document directed Governor Fubara to withdraw all matters he has before the courts.
2. Directed the State House of Assembly to drop all impeachment processes it initiated against the governor.
3. It also directed that Amaewhule’s leadership of the House of Assembly be recognised.
4. Directed Governor Fubara to re-present the state’s 2024 Budget to the Amaewhule-led Assembly.
5. The remunerations and benefits of all members of the Rivers State House of Assembly and their staff must be reinstated immediately and the governor of Rivers State shall henceforth not interfere with the full funding of the Rivers State House of Assembly.
6. The Rivers State House of Assembly shall choose where they want to sit and conduct their legislative business without interference and/or hindrance from the Executive arm of government.
7. The names of all commissioners in the Rivers State Executive Council who resigned their appointments because of the political crisis in the state should be resubmitted to the House of Assembly for approval
8. There should NOT be a caretaker committee for the local governments in Rivers State. The dissolution of the Local Government administration is null and void and shall not be recognized.
What is your view, let’s know.
Dez Mayorz Report.