SIR ALLWELL IHUNDA INAUGURATES THE PUBLICITY COMMITTEE FOR THE 2023 POPULATION AND HOUSING CENSUS IN PHALGA
_Urge members to undertake advocacy visits and strategic engagements with key stakeholders to ensure a successful population and housing census in the LGA_
Mayor Of Port Harcourt City, Sir Allwell Ihunda has inaugurated the 2023 population and housing census publicity committee for the LGA.
The Committee which has membership drawn from different stratrum of the society is chaired by the Mayor.
According to the Mayor, the selection was made in consideration of their wealth of experience in their various fields of endeavors.
He tasked members to undertake advocacy visits and strategic engagements with key stakeholders at the State and Local Government levels to solicit support and cooperation for the success of the 2023 population and housing census.
Sir Allwell Ihunda said the last census held in Nigeria was in 2006, and as a result of that, the Government do not have an accurate statistics of it’s population.
“You will recall that the last census held in Nigeria was in 2006, that is 17years ago, as a matter of fact we do not know the accurate number of our population today, the only way we can be sure of our population is through the National population census exercise that has been slated for May 2023.”
He urged councillors of the 20 wards of the city to own the exercise and provide necessary support and security for the enumerators.
In their brief remarks the Rivers State director of the National population commission Mrs.Barika Nwineh and the state director of the National orientation agency Dr. Young Ayotamuno who graced the occasion, urged members of the committee to take their responsibilities very seriously.
In the same vein the Mayor also inaugurated the Ojoto Market Fire Disaster Committee.
The committee which has it’s members drawn from the members of staff and political appointees of the LGA has the Head of Local Government Administration, Mrs. Helen Chiorlu as Chairman.
You will recall that the Ojoto market was gutted by fire on the 13th of April 2023.
When the Mayor visited the scene of the incident the next day, he promised to set up a committee that will ascertain the extent of damage done by the fire disaster and also recommend appropriate compensation for the affected traders.
Chief Nwogu Okabie and Mrs. Helen Chiorlu who spoke separately on behalf of other members of the two committees thanked the Mayor for the opportunity given to them to serve and promised to live up to their responsibilities.
The Mayor gave the Ojoto market fire disaster committee 7days to turn in their report.
*MEMBERS OF THE PUBLICITY COMMITTEE FOR THE 2023 POPULATION AND HOUSING CENSUS*
1.Sir Allwell Ihunda – Chairman
2. Mrs. Josephine Ometowor- NPC PHALGA Controller
3.Mr. Felix Odungweru – Resident Information Officer
4. Barr. Chile Kay-Owuru – LGA Information Officer.
5. Mr. Sam Orlu – Resident Officer NOA
6. Chief. Nworgu Okabie – Rep. Traditional Rulers
7. Bishop Chuks Boms – Rep. Christain community.
8. Hajia Maryan Nasiru – Rep. Muslim community.
9. Mrs. Kate Akor- Rep. Mile 1 Market
10. Mrs. Nkechi Woke – Rep. Mile 3 Market.
11. Mrs Ure Izidor – Rep. New Layout Market.
12. Mr. David Bobo Wobidike – Rep. Youths
13. Mr. Stephen Orlu – Rep. NURTW.
14. Mrs. Chinwe Ede – Rep. NULGE
15. Mrs Joyce Eresechima – Rep. NUT.
*MEMBERS OF OJOTO MARKET FIRE DISASTER COMMITTEE*
1. Mrs. Helen Chiorlu (HLGA) – Chairman.
2. Hon. Chigozie Woka (Councillor PHALGA Ward 17) – Member
3. M’s Blessing Christopher Izim PhD (Executive Assistant)- Member
4. Pastor Sunny Wokekoro (Works Supervisor) Member
5. Engr. Charles Chigozie Nnaji (Works Director) Member.
Bob Abayomi, Chief Press Secretary, Port Harcourt City Local Government.